Monday, September 5, 2011

I'm a big kid now...

I don't know about you but whenever I type that title anywhere my mind sings it like the Huggies Pull-Ups ad. I don't know why, perhaps at 28 I'm still a big kid. It would certainly explain a few things about my personality.


Yesterday afternoon after B and I had seen his neurosurgeon we moozied over to Domayne to look at some beds and mattresses as we both thought well if we're going to have a future together we really ought to be on the same page bed wise even if I won't be sleeping on it for a while. Plus I have the design creds *cheeky grin*. Buying a bed frame was easy, it was a matter of grabbing his arm, looking like a desperate lunatic and saying that one and nothing but that one. It always helps when the said bed frame is 20% its asking price. That makes many a happy camper. Mattresses however are different.


With mattresses you are encouraged to jump on them, sleep on them (which was odd as I've never even showed B really how I sleep privately let alone in this big store which is kind of exposed), lift them up and down and every way around. It's quite an indepth process. Our sales consultant actively encouraged us to be like kids and of course we wasted no time in giggling like a bunch of cheeky children. After trying five mattresses we eventually found one which at the risk of opening myself up to some really bad Goldilocks jokes - it was juuuuust right. Bonus points for it being called Tennyson even. So we packaged the frame and the mattress and got a whopping 60% the total price and suffice to say although poorer B will be getting a new bed in about two months time.


When I was little and my Dad would schlep me around to furniture stores there was always this rigid formality about it. I guess as children your parents are afraid you will, well, act like a child, but as you get older it's encouraged within reason. You can be a little bit crazy, have a chortle even - oh yes I went there with chortle. So much of what we do after we leave our teen years is so inherently bogged down with responsibility it's so easy to overlook all the little pleasures of life and just get stuck in the proverbial mud of life at times. When we do get to be absolute dorks then that's just a liberation party. Getting drunk, partying all night and then waking up the next day with streamers in your hair and smelling like an off-licence doesn't really appeal to me. Nor has it if I'm honest. That's not the childlike innocence I'm talking about in case anyone is confused.


A few months ago in my developmental psych class my lecturer threw this video up for us to watch. He explained that babies (and toddlers) are brilliant mimics as it is part of their way of acquiring cognition skills amongst other essential developmental factors. That's the big kid behaviour I'm talking about. The gaggles, the naive cute stupidity and the sheer hilarity of being just ridiculously innocent without worry. Buying a bed and a mattress is in an adult domain without a doubt but the act of bouncing up and down on this mattress like it was a jumping castle (and no, in the end that mattress didn't make it) was fun. I think we all need fun in whatever form - I think we all need to have moments where we are going to say "I'm a big kid now".

What makes you a big kid?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment